Have you heard about the big Compagnie M sewing contest? It`s all about the Louisa and Lewis Coat. Of course, I couldn`t leave out such a friendly contest. Here is my entry. After making a simple Louisa Coat version for the blogtour, I felt like pattern-hacking could be fun. And i went all the way from a wool coat to a functional rain jacket. I never ever thought i could make something like that, when i first started to sew. I`m not a sewer who fears a lot. But this seemed to be a big deal. Now it`s clear, there is no reason to become scared of such a project. It behaves like a woven fabric and doesn`t shift. And the best of all, you don`t have to iron. Because you would destroy the fabric. You just understitch or topstitch the seams and get a nice and crisp finish.
My tips for sewing Goretex
- Use a microtex needle
- Understitch or topstitch seams
- Don`t use your iron
- Use a seam sealer (I used seamtape) to make seams waterproof
- Don`t make mistakes, your needle will leave holes in the fabric and weaken it.
- No pins for the same reason
I made a whole bunch of changes to the pattern. Let`s start on top. I added a little cape to the hood to protect her face from the rain. Then, I drew a standing collar, that she can close her jacket over her neck. Because I didn`t want the zipper to scratch her chin i needed a zipper guard. I provided a drawstring on the waist and an elastic for the hood. I drew deep gusseted pockets in the form of the typical Louisa Pocket. There is a little inside pocket for small treasure and last but not least a size-adjustable velcro for the sleeve.
All you need for a nice weatherproof rain jacket.
Have a look at the details.
As it is not so easy, to find good quality outdoor fabrics (Your recommendations are very welcome!) I reused a good but not often worn Jacket from her grandmother. I decided to ask around for an unloved rain jacket, I could use to make a new one out of it. I was sure someone had one waiting in a cupboard. But I was so delighted when she arrived with this purple jacket. It`s probably exactly the color my little girl wished for. It was a heavy task to take the whole jacket apart and place the new pattern pieces on it. There isn`t much left of the original jacket. I reused everything. Main fabric, lining, elastic, velcro and even the shortened zipper. So satisfying! Time consuming yes, but lots of fun. And i boast when i look at the finished project!
The only difficulties I faced where sewing on gusseted pockets without using pins and to apply the sealtape. That was kind of frustrating. This tape caused all those pucker you can see, for example, under the pockets. So annoying for a little perfectionist like me. But I had to live with it. Just couldn`t do better. I`ll try an other brand next time. It`s a great coat, though. At least my little girl is more than happy about it.
Pattern: Hacked Louisa Coat by Compagnie M
Fabric: Upcycled old outdoor jacket, and some Aime come Marie Diamants for the hood lining.
8 thoughts on “Ready for the Rain”
Awesome! Truly a wonderful make, and remake as well. 👍Let it rain! 🌧☔
Another masterpiece Nina. Just when I thought your annual coat sewing couldn’t get better than last year. You outdid yourself again. Amazing.
Wow, just wow! Seriously blown away by this.
Thank you soo much! that makes my day!
Oh my god Nina!! This is perfection!
Thank you Marte, i`m glad you like it!
Amazing work !